Friday, September 2, 2011

August Hits!

It's officially September or as I like to call LEX-tember - my birthday is the 20th. Yes, circle it on your calendars! I'm kidding, of course.

Here's what I was wearing on my face in August:


Apparently, it was all about eye liner in August. Two latest acquisitions were: NARS Larger Than Life: Long-Wear Eyeliner pencil and Urban Decay's 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner. I also found a liquid liner I bought months ago - MAC's Superslick Liquid Eye Liner in Signature Blue. I guess this was a lazy month for me because most days an eye look consisted only of: primer, lid and brow bone colors and a thin line of either one of these liners. Then the final topping was layering Chanel Inimitable Noir and NARS Larger Than Life Lengthening Mascaras to get some volume and length. Actually, I find that these give me more length than  volume.

I'm still searching for that WONDER mascara to give me super volume. Maybe I can dedicate my September to search for a HOLY GRAIL mascara. But is that even possible?

I have also been loving my NARS Larger Than Life Lip Gloss in Place Vendome, raspberry shade. I wore this on a night out consisting of pasta eating, drinking and dancing in the Castro. The shine may have faded but the color did stain my lips a lovely shade. I think I reapplied only two times the entire night. This brightens up my face quite nicely. I think a mirror is still required to apply this gloss because of the small stiff brush.

Final assessment - I LOVE eye liner - yeah NEWSFLASH, I know. I am still thinking about picking up another tube of the new NARS gloss. I just wish it wasn't a Sephora exclusive.
Also, in attempt to fight the frizz caused by many color processing appointments, I discovered these lovely smelling items from Oscar Blandi's Smoothing Collection inspired by his favorite scent:


L to R:
Proteine de jasmine - Protein Mist for Restyling Hair, Olio de Jasmine - Hair Serum.

Both items have a lovely light citrusy, jasmine scent. The protein mist is nice to use on second day hair but this is NOT a dry shampoo. This does refresh the hair and adds a light scent, especially after a sweaty lunch time gym session. It can also be used on wet hair to help detangle, almost like a light weight leave-in conditioner. Another suggestion is to use on dry hair before using heat tools. I am still on the fence using it to protect my hair while using my flat iron, I still prefer to use a traditional thermal styling spray. My hair didn't get as smooth as I wanted when using the protein mist before my flat iron.

As for the serum, I'm still experimenting with it. It does contain silicones: cyclopentasiloxane, dimethiconol, cyclomethicone and phenyltrimethicone - it is a serum after all. I will add a drop of this to my wet hair and sometimes I will mix it with my Sachajuan Straight Out gel. If I only blow dry with my a big barrel brush, I still get a little frizz. Once my hair is dry I add another drop from mid-shaft to ends and I lightly smooth this through out my hair. However, I will use my flat iron to smooth out any areas that has a bit of frizz. The reason why I bought this serum is to not have to use my flat iron. So I'm not sure if I need to add more serum while my hair is wet or not. Lately, I have been washing my hair every third day but since I've been using the serum my roots are starting to feel a bit heavy and oily. I may have to go back to washing my hair every other day.

Are any of you readers Blandi fans? What other hair products are worth me investigating?

Final assessment - the jury is still out but my hair loves the scent these products leave.

Jasmine protein mist - 8.45 oz/$18 USD
(travel size) Jasmine oil serum - .5oz/$16 USD



10 comments:

  1. Wow, August was a liner and mascara month for me too! I swear I had the exact same thoughts about finding the perfect mascara a few days ago. I've been making lists of what I need to try. If mascara didn't go bad, I'd probably buy 20 tubes! I've been doing samples lately; it's so hard to find a really good one.

    I also took out my raspberry colored Chanel Nakkar lately.

    And speaking of straighteners I have been seriously been considering investing in a good straightener. Any suggestions? I was thinking Ultra CHI at ulta.

    I'll try not to have a twin favorites post to yours, but it's going to be hard =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA great minds think alike! I don't mind if your post is similiar.

    I think I tried the CHI once and I did like it. I use a very basic T3 that I bought last year during the F/F sale at Sephora. It's okay nothing special. I do remember that the CHI got my hair bone straight.

    Maybe we should do a joint effort to making September mascara month? Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I think I want to try out the protein mist! I love stuff like that and the scent seems like it is nice - thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katherine,
    If you like Jasmine, give this a try. I like that it's a light scent. Also, I read other reviews (on Sephora) that it's drying on the hair. I didn't have this problem. I hope you don't either if you try it.
    As always, thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chi straighteners have great reviews and some of my friends love them! I like the oscar blandishments invisible dry shampoo - I love the scent too! I love the new nars glosses. You should try diorshow extase mascara with diorshow maximizer if you haven't already! :) I like it more than inimitable and I wasn't a fan of nars at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce,
    Yeah the Blandi dry shampoo is next on my list. I have tried the Diorshow Extase...unfortunately, I wasn't a big fan of it. It didn't work as well.

    Thanks so much for stopping by, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite mascaras:
    #1) Armani Eyes to Kill
    #2) YSL Faux Cils
    #3) Bobbi Brown Extreme Party
    #4) YSL Singuiler
    #5) Guerlain Le 2

    Notably not on the list: DiorShow. I really strongly dislike that one, for some reason...

    Happy mascara hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tess,
    Yes, I will be purchasing Armani Eyes to Kill after I finish my Chanel.

    Do you have any drugstore brand pics?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a so-so feeling toward Maybelline Great Lash. I like Loreal Voluminous Full Definition and CoverGirl Lash Exact and LashBlast. But really, as soon as I tried Eyes to Kill, it was over for me. It's the best mascara, does not wind up smudged under my eyes, comes off easily with soap and water, and one tube lasts me about 9 months, without it drying up or clumping (my only complaints about YSL FauxCils are those last two - otherwise, it's nearly perfect too).

    I am so picky about mascara, because I'm on the go and don't have time to clean up the mess that commonly results from it under my eyes (I only do top lashes, but have magical eyeballs that somehow transport black smudge to my undereye) - I think that the cheapest/best performing one two combo for me is BB Extreme Party, if I'm too cheap to buy the Eyes to Kill.

    Will be interested to hear your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Tess! I have never been wowed by Great Lash. I never understood the fuss. I loved L'Oreal's Lash-Out back in the day and had pretty good results with Voluminous. I still want to try out CG's Lashblast just because I heard good things and I want to give a drugstore brand a shot.

    Yeah, I really need to try that Eyes to Kill. I am hoping it will be my HG of mascaras!

    Thanks again for your insight - I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete