Monday, October 17, 2011

Guest Post for Monday, 10/17 and a booze review YAY!

Hello all,
I hope you had a lovely weekend. We are still stretching out our Indian Summer here in the Bay Area so it was sunshine all around.

I can really get use to this Fall sunshine!

I just wanted to share my lastest guest post for missomnimedia.com on PRIMERS!



A step that is either forgotten or neglected. This is what keeps my face from melting during sweaty spin or yoga classes during my lunch breaks!

Also, I wanted to share a very yummy, Indian inspired cocktail I had on Saturday at one of my favorite SF restaurants - Dosa, across the street from Sundance Kabuki theaters in Japantown:


The Bengali Gimlet.

A traditional Gimlet is a gin cocktail with just fresh squeezed lemon and lime juices. It's a very refreshing cocktail. This however, is it the exotic, sexy cousin from India.

This still features Gin - Tanqueray Rangpur Gin. This gin is pretty tasty and I'd like to add this to my liquor cabinet. It is a flavored gin with notes of Rangpur limes (from India), juniper berries and bay leaves. It does sound like a herbal pouch for a soup base but if you like savory cocktails - this is really tasty.

I need to try this with just tonic and a fresh squeezed lime next time. I do not recommend this for a dirty martini (traditional martini w/olive juice) or any other dry cocktails (traditional gin martini) - it just sounds unsavory to me.

The kicker? There is a curried nectar component to this drink that gives it a light cumin, curry scent. As I got to the bottom of my martini glass the scent grew stronger and the curry flavor got stronger. This is definitely not a bad thing since I do love a savory, spicy cocktail as much (sometimes more) than the fruity and sweet "vacation" type drinks. A gimlet is not the same without the citrus flavor so fresh squeezed lime is added. This is served straight up (no ice), strained and served into a martini glass.

We had cocktails only since we had to make it to our movie, Moneyball (LOVED!) But after sipping on this, I had a mad craving for Dosa's famous Paper Masala Dosa.

I'll have to come back for more and this time I will be eating their delicious Indian food!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh - I really like Dosa but haven't been in a long time - need to try it now and order that cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine,
    Yeah, I love Dosa on Fillmore - it's a gorgeous restaurant with delicious drinks and food.

    If you do get a chance to sip this cocktail, let me know what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband had the Paper Masala Dosa at Dosa in the Mission and he loved it. We haven't been to the Fillmore location yet. The cocktail sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rola,
    Yes, please try this if you love GIN and Curry! The Fillmore location is bit more on a grand scale in terms of interior design - it reads more date night to me vs. the Mission location. Then I haven't been to that one in a very long time!

    ReplyDelete