Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 3 - oh la la

Bonjour, mes amis...sorry my high school French is limited. However, I can place an order in a Patisserie (albeit in broken French), translate a few things in a French Vogue and I know what Cochon means. If you ask my husband, he will roll his eyes and tell you how much I am obsessed with Paris and then make fun of the French. I have been to Paris once and I'm making it my goal to go back as many times they'll allow me. I always end up choosing a French restaurant when my husband wants to take me out for my birthday. If ever in SF and you want to drop serious money for a romantic and fabulous dinner please go here. As a former film student, I appreciate a good vintage foreign film. So you know I love me some Truffaut, Renoir, Godard (just please don't make me watch Weekend (1967) again!) etc. However, what really gets me going is the French idea of beauty and fashion. I am completely enamored with it. I fell in love with all the women, children and men while in Paris. I just felt like a slob while I was there, no matter how hard I tried.

Many moments are spent cojuring up mental images of French beauties that I have seen on screen or in print while putting my makup on in the morning...Sophisticated and regal like Catherine Deneuve or Carole Bouquet? Do I want a sex kitten smoky eye while on vacation look - Brigitte Bardot? Or do I want a modern glamourous bohemian look - Vanessa Paradis...French bad ass - Marion Cotillard...even fashion designer Catherine Malandrino rocks a fierce smoky eye!

Since it's a work day, I tried to combine two elements that come to mind when you think Classic French themed makeup:

The smoky charcoal eye and the red lip.

Catherine Deneuve


Vanessa Paradis French Vogue 2008


I normally like a clean, almost sparse eye look when wearing a bold red. But this time I wanted to try a smoky grey eye with pink red lipstick. Products used today:
NARS
MAC
Dolce and Gabbana.




(L to R - NARS Tokyo fr. Modern Love palette, Paris duo)













Eyes:
Light shimmer grey (middle shade) on my lid and crease
Dark grey (shade closest to my wrist) on my outer V and slightly blended into my crease. Also, I took a MAC #219 pencil brush and lined my bottom lash line slightly with this same shade
Tokyo - (first shade - ivory shimmer) highlight under my brows
 MAC Technakohl eyeliner in Graphblack - to line and tightline my top lashline.
MAC Haute and Naughty Mascara - Black














Face:
Chanel Teint Innocence Compact - Pecan/Walnut
Boi-ing Concealer #3
NARS Laguna bronzer (contour)
Bobbi Brown blush - Peony (bright warm pink)

Lips:
Dolce and Gabbana Ultra - pink red/satin finish
Dahlia lip liner





To complete my French vibe - I topped off with Love and Tears fragrance By Kilian.

End result:

All I need is an Hermes scarf - a girl can dream, right?





















SIDE NOTE - when visiting Paris, please leave the beret at home!

PS. As expected, yesterday's lip look involving MAC products left my lips raw and itchy today. I am hoping I don't further the damage with my D&G lipstick/liner.

No comments:

Post a Comment