Thursday, January 13, 2011

When I need to feign health and happiness...

I know it's still Winter by listening to my cube mates coughing and sneezing all around me. My daughter is also in pre-school, the hot-bed of germs, therefore I know I'll eventually get sick once again!

On the mornings that I wake up with a raw throat and pounding headache, I don't want to over think my makeup. I'm lucky if I remember to reach for my blending brush to blend my eyeshadow. If I were only lucky enough to remember to apply under eye concealor. I'm now on day 3 with this awful sore throat.

One of the last things I acquired before my cosmetic ban is truly a life saver. From the MAC Stylishly Yours collection - Movie Star Red Cream Colour Base (limited edition, of course!):
(I just like how it matches my MJ cosmetic pouch)



This thing is super pigmented:

It has been described as a medium toned blue-red (MAC site) but it pulls more of a pink-red tone on my NC42 skin.

I like to use my fingertips when I apply - slightly off center of the apple of my cheek and sweep up toward my temple. Using a clean fingertip I buff the color and smooth it out. Like I said, it's pretty pigmented so apply with caution - it's always easy to build up than buff out! I was able to find my skunk #187 brush so I did use that to blend the color better. I would recommend using either method based on comfort level. I then used a fine lip brush to apply on my lips (over my lip balm). It goes on creamy and then dries as a stain (cherry color on my lips). It's not uncomfortable on my lips when it does settle and dry, which is a huge plus for me and my finicky lips!

As for my eyes. I went with a copper/rose gold shimmer vibe:
L to R:
MAC Amber Lights - peachy-brown/copper shimmer (permanent) on my lid
NARS Nepal - rose gold shimmer (permanent) on my crease
MAC Femme Fi - beige-yellow (LE - Neo Sci-Fi collection) highlight
UD 24/7 Eyeliner in Bourbon - metallic med. brown (permanent and used bottom lash line only - smudged)

lots of black mascara - MAC Haute and Naughty/Black.

I also like to finish off with lots of Visine before I put in my contact lenses. This way my eyes aren't too bloodshot from the sleepless night before.

(Man, I could use that under eye concealor right about now)


For extra gloss - I added Chanel's Rouge Allure Extrait De Gloss in Fatale #61.

I think I'll O.D. on some Ricola lozenges later - Mr. Lex and I have date night at a Scotch tasting tomorrow night.

5 comments:

  1. Movie Star Red looks amazing! It pulls more fuschia than I expected but suits to you a T.

    Hope you feel better soon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen - this has been one of new favorite things!

    I am hoping to kick this cold by tomorrow night. Otherwise, it'll be a crummy date night. However, my husband suspects he's getting sick too...BOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this look on you,very fresh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! That's very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    I have never tried a Chinese cough syrup and I'm sure I wouldn't have much difficutly find one since I work near Chinatown.

    Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete