Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Pretty in BRIGHT PINK...

Remember this movie?

Yeah, I remember watching this in the theater back in '86 and I was in the 6th grade. I was a little new wave listening/goth girl in the making. I wanted to be Molly Ringwald's character, Andie so badly. I wanted to work in a record store, drive a pink Karmann Ghia VW, have a preppy boyfriend named Blaine and have an adorable side kick named Ducky that wore creepers. Shoot, I even wanted to be a fashion designer and craft an ugly prom dress out of two very pretty vintage dresses. If I were Annie Potts, I would have been pissed to discover that my great vintage prom dress was ripped and pieced together into another dress.

I am singing Pretty in Pink by The Psychedelic Furs in my head right now!

To tie in with the release of this film, I remember a certain makeup line came out (sorry, I forgot the company's name) with a whole Pretty in Pink inspired collection. I did buy the lipstick and it was not a pretty site. A girl with my tan complexion should not wear a cool, pink with lots of white in it. This is why I shuddered when I saw the Lady Gaga Viva Glam shade. It was very similar to that color. I wore it anyway - I can have a piece of that Andie dream in my pocket for less than $10. I knew this was not a flattering color but I wanted to wear it anyway. Remember it was the 80's so the pink that was popular was very soft and pastel. A color that is difficult for me to wear. Regardless of this, I will always love the color pink.
Needless to say, I tend to stick to my safe neutral makeup colors. If I want to go bold then I'll do a red or a dark pink. But a hot pink for work? Am I crazy?



(NC 42 Skin)

 
Apparently, I'm just bored of my usual nude pink and red lipsticks/gloss. As a result of cleaning out some of my old MAC products, I turned in 6 MAC products (no longer used or finished) for the Back to MAC program and in return I picked up a Cremesheen lipstick in Lickable. Okay the name is debatable but I just love this hot pink color. I didn't think I could get away with bright pink so early in the morning but when it stains it leaves a lovely pink color. It goes on nicely, lots of slip and this color loads on the pigment. After 4 hours of wear, I don't need to reapply. If anything, I'll just pop on some lip balm on top of the pink stain it left just for added moisture.



(a very clean, hot pink - no liner required)


I am really pleased with this color. Also, I'm really pleased that this feels nice on my overly sensitive lips - as you know, MAC doesn't always treat my lips very well. But just to be on the safe side, I'll have to either wear an Edward Bess lipstick or a NARS gloss tomorrow just to keep my lips happy.

But for now:


Look how happy this color makes me!! I wish I discovered this color when it first came out - a year ago, I think. But hey, better late than never, right?






No comments:

Post a Comment